When should I get a flu shot in preparation for the holidays?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Getting the flu shot in preparation for the holidays is a great idea and should be done at the beginning of the flu season which starts in early Fall. If you are getting the flu shot anyway, why should you risk getting the flu before the holidays? Now if the holidays are fast approaching, make sure you get the flu shot at least two weeks before traveling because it can take your body that long after the shot to create an immune response capable of fighting off the flu.
You should get your flu shot as soon as it's available in your community, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Flu season typically runs from October to May. It can take two weeks for your body to develop antibodies to the flu virus, so if you're vaccinated in October, you should be protected in time for the holidays.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Get Spicy This Holiday Season
Get Spicy This Holiday Season
Ho! Ho! … Oh! No! ‘Tis the season -- for packing on extra weight. Research suggests that holiday weight gain, year after year, can be a big reason the...
What is a holiday hangover?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
It seems to happen every year -- a holiday hangover. Not just any old hangover (the result of to...
5 Holiday Food Swaps
5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps
You won’t even notice you’re eating fewer calories.
Why Am I Miserable After a Holiday Meal?