How can I help my family eat healthy during the holidays?

Kat Barefield, MS, RD

First, by being a good role model by filling your plate with mostly healthy items such as salads, fruits, veggies and lean protein like skinless turkey and seafood. Save ¼ of your plate for your favorite holiday item. You can help your kids by filling their plate and letting them choose their favorite dish. I’ve learned that kids pay more attention to what you do than what you say.

Vandana  R. Sheth

Tips to promote healthy habits during the holidays

• Plan meals and snacks
  • Tweak traditional family recipes to make them healthier
  • Try new recipes that are healthier and delicious
  • Incorporate more whole grains, fruits and vegetables into meals
  • Serve water in place of sugar sweetened beverages with meals
  • Encourage regular physical activity during the holidays
  • Focus on quality time spent together on non-food related activities
Sarah LoBisco
Integrative Medicine

For holidays that are full of cheer, not grumpy deprivation, try the following tips:

Ask your family what their favorite, healthiest foods and veggies are and be sure to serve this at dinner.

Be a role model by allowing treats in moderation and filling up on foods that are healthy for your body and make you feel good.

Encourage balancing blood sugar to prevent the "waiting for turkey dinner binge". By allowing healthy snacks and balancing each meal and snack with proteins, healthy fats, and whole grain carbohydrates, cravings and impulse control will be easier.

• Hint: Fill up on healthy complex carbohydrates such as whole grains (rice, quinoa, millet) and root vegetables (carrots, yams, and squash) for a sweet taste and blood sugar balance at the same time. These foods are high in fiber which will increase satiety. They are also full of powerful antioxidants which supply the body with better blood sugar balance and lower inflammation at the same time!

Make healthy versions of holiday dessert favorites by replacing nutrient depleted sugar with more balanced sweet options such as stevia, maple syrup, xylitol, or honey. Also, consider the use of gluten free options, which are less inflammatory flours and are more filling.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

The best way to ensure your family is eating healthy during the holidays (as well as the rest of the year), is to lead by example. Eat a lot of veggies; stick with lean meats or fish, and whole grains. Don’t load your kitchen up with holiday treats and sweets. Keep the meals at home basic, low in fat and calories. When dining out or at a party, make sure to avoid taking home leftovers. This way your family won’t be tempted to eat it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

4 Simple Ways to Beat the Holiday Blues
4 Simple Ways to Beat the Holiday Blues
"It’s the most wonderful time of the year," goes the old song. But for many of us, not so much. Stress from holiday parties and family gatherings, hig...
How can I make sure I get family holiday photos?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Appoint each child the role of official "family holiday photographer." You may find that the ph...
9 Healthier Versions of Traditional Holiday Side Dishes
9 Healthier Versions of Traditional Holiday Side Dishes9 Healthier Versions of Traditional Holiday Side Dishes9 Healthier Versions of Traditional Holiday Side Dishes9 Healthier Versions of Traditional Holiday Side Dishes
The seasonal trimmings you know and love, with less fat, sodium and calories.
Jorge Cruise on Why Your Breakfast Should Be Vegan