Why should I be extra careful about taking my medication during holidays?

Experts think one reason heart attacks rise during the holidays is that people often miss medications and skip their regular exercise with everything else that is going on.

Remember to bring your medications when you travel, don’t skip doctors’ appointments, and keep up your usual activity level (invite the family along for your daily walk). But remember that when temperatures drop, blood vessels start to restrict, raising blood pressure. So begin any outdoor activity slowly and, if you have any risk factors for heart disease, leave the snow shovelling to others.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

5 Ways to Stick to Your Yoga Practice During the Holidays
“You should sit in meditation for twenty minutes every day—unless you’re too busy; then you should sit for an hour.” – Old Zen adage I can already he...
How can I stay healthy and happy during the holidays?
It is important to enjoy the holidays, which often involve family, friends and food. However a balan...
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
Don’t let holiday activities and stress put a damper on your spirit this time of year—learn how to prevent eight common holiday health risks.
Secret Swaps to a Healthier Cranberry Sauce