What exercise can help improve my checking skill in ice hockey?

A specific exercise set to help improve checking skill is a standing cable chest press supersetted with plyometric push-ups. To effectively check an opponent, you need to have good core strength, stabilization, and power. The first exercise, the standing cable chest press, builds core strength in the standing position and the second exercise, plyometric push-ups, builds explosive upper-body power. For the standing cable chest press, use a cable column set at chest height. Engage the core by drawing-in the stomach and use a fast tempo to drive the cables out in a pressing motion. Perform 5 repetitions and then immediately follow that exercise with plyometic push-ups. Engage the core and then explosively perform a traditional push-up so your hands leave the ground. Perform 5-10 repetitions of this superset with 3 minutes rest between sets. By performing these two exercises as a superset you will increase your power and core strength used for checking.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How many days per week should I do cardio in-season for hockey?
Cardiovascular training in-season is based on how many hockey games you are playing during the w...
What stretches are important for hockey players?
Important areas to stretch for hockey are the hip flexors, thighs (quadriceps), and inner thighs...
What exercises help with the hockey forehand wrist-shot?
Exercises that have a turning and explosive movement like the medicine ball rotational chest pas...
How do I warm-up for hockey?
To warm-up for ice hockey, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. Foa...