What is the goal of off-season cardio training for hockey?

The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for hockey is to build a good aerobic base. Start by building up the work capacity. This is done by doing low-intensity work on cardio equipment, if possible, to reduce the pounding on the joints. Pre-season is meant to prepare you for the real season, so there is a fine line between preparing for the season and setting yourself up for burnout in the middle of the year. Building the work capacity slowly is a safe way to ensure you are peaking at the right time during the season. Once you can handle at least thirty minutes of low-intensity training, it is time to increase the aerobic base by pushing your anaerobic threshold higher. Playing hockey requires a series of anaerobic shifts, so preparing to strengthen the anaerobic system is very important. By the end of the pre-season, you should be doing more anaerobic training by working in the same ratio of work to rest that hockey demands, which is in forty-five second shifts.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How do I warm-up for hockey?
To warm-up for ice hockey, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. Foa...
How do I stretch my calves for ice hockey?
To stretch the calves for hockey, first foam roll the area for 30 seconds, then perform a standi...
How do I stretch my thighs for ice hockey?
To stretch the front of the thighs, or quadriceps, start by foam rolling the thighs for 30 seconds a...
How many days per week should I do cardio in-season for hockey?
Cardiovascular training in-season is based on how many hockey games you are playing during the w...