What equipment is required for ice hockey?

To play the sport properly and safely, the sport of ice hockey requires a number of pieces of equipment. The following should be utilized: skates, shin guards, jockstrap, hockey girdle (pants), shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, helmet, and a stick. Please note that neck guards may be appropriate at all levels, but are generally mandated at a younger age. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Hockey

As a goalie for hockey, how do I increase my flexibility?
To improve flexibility as a goalie, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretch...
How do I improve my speed for hockey with weight training?
Improving your strength and power will help increase speed for hockey. Use a combination of stre...
How many days per week should I do cardio during the hockey off-season?
The cardiovascular demands of hockey are very high, so pre-season training needs to be well-balanced...
How can I choose the proper size ice hockey stick?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
To find the best size hockey stick for your height, first consider the position you play. Offens...