What type of cardio should I do in hockey off-season?

If you have a four month hockey off-season, start by doing lower-intensity cardio to build your aerobic base and progress to using high-intensity interval training. There are three zones you will use; lower intensity, medium to high intensity, and very high intensity. Low-intensity cardio is activity during which you could easily hold a conversation, such as a fast walk or a slow jog. Medium-intensity cardio is activity during which you could hold a conversation but it would be difficult to do. You will have to work to stay in this zone and it can be uncomfortable. High-intensity cardio is activity during which you become breathless and unable to talk in complete sentences. You can only maintain this intenisty for a short time such as during sprinting. For the first month of the hockey season, use only low and medium-intensity cardio training for up to 6 days per week. During the second month, perform 1-2 days of low-intensity cardio per week, 1-2 days of medium-intensity cardio per week, and 1 day of high-intensity intervals per week. During the third month of the off-season, increase your workload to 2 days of high-intensity intervals per week, 1-2 medium-intesnity days, and 1 low-intensity cardio day. By the fourth month of the off-season you should be using high-intensity intervals that simulate game conditions, such as 30-45 seconds of high-intensity cardio followed by a 60-90 seconds recovery using low intensity cardio, 3-4 times per week. Any additional cardio should be low-intensity to serve as active recovery and prevent overtraining.

Continue Learning about Hockey

Should most of my cardio for hockey be done on or off the ice?
Conditioning for any sport should focus on the surface it is typically played upon.  Hockey is no ...
What exercises help with the hockey forehand wrist-shot?
Exercises that have a turning and explosive movement like the medicine ball rotational chest pas...
What exercise can help improve my checking skill in ice hockey?
A specific exercise set to help improve checking skill is a standing cable chest press supersetted w...
What are beginning balance exercises for hockey goalies?
Beginning balance exercises for hockey goalies are the single-leg Romanian deadlift exercise and...