Is there a drill to help with starting and stopping in ice hockey?

Short sprints between 15-50 yards can significantly improve your takeoff and start in hockey. In order to simulate a hockey start, you can start with your heels together and feet angled outwards. With your knees bent, you can work on the push off that is so vital. Short and quick strides are imperative for the hockey start, and it is possible to improve your quickness by performing several sets of these starts during your off-ice training. These sprints should be performed at full speed, and therefore, appropriate rest between sets is necessary for recovery.

Good drills for hockey players to do off the ice is the T-drill and L.E.F.T drill. Ice hockey requires quickly stopping and accelerating, and these drills help simulate that by using change of direction and rapid stimulus processing. The T-drill involves setting up cones in a "T" pattern 5 yards apart. Begin by sprinting forward, then side-shuffle to the left, carioca to the right, side-shuffle back to the left, and sprint back to the starting position forming a T. For the L.E.F.T. drill, use 2 cones 10 yards apart and start by sprinting one cone, then backpedal back to the starting cone. Next side-shuffle right, then side-shuffle left. Follow that movement with a carioca right and carioca left, finishing with one last sprint to the opposite cone. Perform 2-6 sets and rest 60 seconds between sets.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How do I stretch my hamstrings for ice hockey?
To stretch the hamstrings, start by foam rolling the area for 30 seconds and then perform by a s...
What type of exercise should I do during the hockey pre-season?
During the hockey pre-season, use a combination of strength/stabilization exercises, corrective ...
What is the goal of off-season cardio training for hockey?
The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for hockey is to build a good aerobic base. Start by ...
How can I improve my flexibility for kick saves as a ice hockey goalie?
To perform the kick save. a goalie requires good flexibility of the inner thigh, hamstrings, and cal...