I play hockey on the weekend, how often should I lift weights?

To maintain and improve performance, complete 3 to 4 weight training workouts per week. By playing the games on the weekend, you are getting some high-intensity exercise, so it is not necessary to do very high-intensity exercises like plyometrics or jump training during the week. You should use a mixture of exercise types such as corrective, strength, and strength endurance. This is necessary to improve strength and power but also to work any areas over/under used in the sport. Generally, you should complete one strength workout using the following acute variables: 4-6 sets of 1-5 repetitions using a fast tempo and heavy weights. You will help keep your muscle power levels high by using a fast tempo. Rest for 3-5 minutes between sets. Example exercises to use during this strength workout include leg press, leg curls, and bench press. For the second workout, focus on corrective exercises and use the following acute variables: 1-2 sets of 12-20 repetitions using a slow tempo and light weights. Rest 45 seconds between sets. Work on areas that need improvement during the corrective workout. Example areas and exercises to use during the corrective workout include the upper back (for posture) by performing a floor cobra, inner thigh exercises like side lunges, and glute exercises like bridges. For the third workout, focus on strength endurance by performing a superset of a strength exercise immediately followed by a stabilization exercise. Use the following acute variables: 2-4 supersets of 8-12 repetitions using a medium tempo and medium weights for the strength exercise, and a slow tempo with light weights for the stability exercise. Example exercises to perform in this workout include front bar squats supersetted with walking lunges. If you work out a fourth time in a week, repeat the corrective exercise workout. This should help improve performance and keep you conditioned for the weekend games.

Much depends on how competitive you are in hockey. An undulating type of workout intensities and volumes as described above will definitely improve your weekend hockey performance. A general strength conditioning program is good, but if your desire is to be the best player that you can be then your workout program should be complete with sports specific exercises for hockey. One legged squats, bounding exercises, drills that stress the recruitment of muscles in the transverse plane as is seen in taking a shot in hockey.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How should I choose hockey skates?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You should select an ice skate that is 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than your street shoes to ensure p...
What are advanced core exercises for ice hockey goalies?
Advanced core exercises for ice hockey goalies include medicine ball rotation chest pass and sta...
What are basic core exercises for ice hockey?
Examples of basic core exercises for ice hockey include the two-leg floor bridge and prone-iso a...
As a goalie for hockey, how do I increase my flexibility?
To improve flexibility as a goalie, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretch...