How often should I do cardio during hockey season?

The frequency with which you do cardio during hockey season depends on how often you are playing. If you are playing three to four times a week, then using a stationary bike to rest the inner thigh and other muscles that may be overworked is a good idea. Since the games are high intensity (anaerobic), doing additional high-intensity cardio could lead to overtraining. On the off days, doing 20-30 minutes of low to medium-intensity cardio is best to help with active recovery and prevent overtraining. During low-intensity cardio, you should be able to easily hold a conversation such as during fast walking or slow jogging. During medium-intensity cardio, you should still be able to hold a conversation, but it should be difficult such as during fast jogging. If you are only playing hockey one to two times a week, then adding some high-intensity interval training will help improve your conditioning. During high-intensity cardio, you should become breathless and not be able to talk in complete sentences such as during a sprint. To perform high-intensity interval training for hockey, you can use a slide board or treadmill to do 45 seconds of high-intensity activity and 115 seconds of low-intensity activity for 5 to 10 rounds. It is important to have at least one to two days off from exercise to allow for recovery, especially as the season progresses.

Continue Learning about Hockey

What type of cardio should I do in hockey off-season?
If you have a four month hockey off-season, start by doing lower-intensity cardio to build your ...
How do I increase my flexibility for hockey?
If you are trying to improve flexibility, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static s...
What are advanced balance exercises for hockey goalies?
Advanced balance exercises include single-leg box hop-up with stabilization and multiplanar (for...
How can I choose the proper size ice hockey stick?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
To find the best size hockey stick for your height, first consider the position you play. Offens...