How can I improve flexibility in the butterfly position as a hockey goalie?

To improve flexibility in the butterfly position, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretching. Ice hockey goalies need great flexibility, especially the butterfly position which requires good hip internal rotation. To improve flexibility, start by foam rolling any tight areas like the side of the glutes, the inner thigh, and the side of the thigh between the knee and the hip. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to tight areas. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for greater range of motion. Foam roll any tender areas for 30 seconds. Then perform a static stretch for the same tight areas, holding a position for 30 seconds. Complete 1-3 sets of each stretch, and be sure to move into and out of the stretch slowly. To perform a hip internal rotation stretch, begin by laying on on your stomach. Lift one leg up by bending at the knee and grab the inside part of the foot. Slowly move the leg away from the body by pushing it out, similar to how the legs move in the butterfly position. Hold the stretch and slowly come back to the starting position. In addition, use the following static stretches for the lower body: standing calf stretch, standing inner thigh stretch, and hamstring stretch.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How can I improve my flexibility for kick saves as a ice hockey goalie?
To perform the kick save. a goalie requires good flexibility of the inner thigh, hamstrings, and cal...
Is hockey an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
When watching a hockey game you will see that there is a high anaerobic demand put on the athlete, f...
How can I make sure my ice hockey helmet fits right?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When fitting a hockey helmet, two goals must be achieved: protection and comfort. The helmet needs t...
What are beginning balance exercises for hockey goalies?
Beginning balance exercises for hockey goalies are the single-leg Romanian deadlift exercise and...