How do I stretch my thighs for ice hockey?

To stretch the front of the thighs, or quadriceps, start by foam rolling the thighs for 30 seconds and then perform a static standing thigh stretch for 30 seconds. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to the thighs. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Once you have foam rolled the quadriceps, perform a standing thigh stretch, holding the stretch for 30 seconds. To perform the thigh stretch, begin by standing up straight and bending one knee. Grab the insole of the foot and gently pull up toward the glute (butt). Keep both knees together as you pull; you should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. Perform 1-3 sets of the stretch. If you are stretching just prior to a hockey game, you can do dynamic stretches instead of the static stretch. Dynamic stretches use the momentum of the movement to take the joint through a full range of motion. This helps prepare the body for the fast movements used in the game and raises body temperature. Front-to-back leg swings are a good dynamic thigh stretch. Perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the leg swings.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How often should I lift weights during hockey season?
To maintain performance without overtraining, three to four weight training workouts per week is...
As a goalie for hockey, how do I increase my flexibility?
To improve flexibility as a goalie, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretch...
What are basic core exercises for ice hockey goalies?
Examples of basic core exercises for ice hockey goalies include the two-leg floor bridge and pro...
How often should I lift weights during the hockey off-season?
During the hockey off-season, you should perform three full-body weight training programs each w...