How do I improve my speed for hockey with weight training?

Improving your strength and power will help increase speed for hockey. Use a combination of strength exercises supersetted with power exercises. To perform this type of weight training you should perform 1-5 repetitions of a strength exercise followed immediately by 8-10 repetitions of a power exercise using an explosive tempo; this makes up one set. Perform 3-5 sets of this combination with 3-5 minutes of rest in between sets. Peform the strength exercise in a stable position (using two legs, leg press machine, etc.) as this allows more weight to be used. The power exercise should use the same muscles as the strength exercise and consist of jump training or medicine balls. By using supersets of a strength exercise follow immediately by a power exercise, you can improve both strength and explosive power. A specific example of a superset is to perform 5 sets of 5 repetions of bar squats supersetted with box jumps for 10 repetitions. To perform box jumps, quickly squat down and the explosively jump on to a box. Make sure to land softly, then step down and repeat the movement. For the next group of exercises, perform 5 sets of 5 repetitions of leg curls laying down on your stomach followed by 10 lunge jumps (5 per leg). To perform the lunge jumps, start in the bottom position of a lunge then explosively jump in the air. Land softly in the lunge position and repeat the movement.

Continue Learning about Hockey

Should most of my cardio for hockey be done on or off the ice?
Conditioning for any sport should focus on the surface it is typically played upon.  Hockey is no ...
As a goalie for hockey, how do I increase my flexibility?
To improve flexibility as a goalie, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretch...
How do I stretch my hamstrings for ice hockey?
To stretch the hamstrings, start by foam rolling the area for 30 seconds and then perform by a s...
How do I warm-up for hockey?
To warm-up for ice hockey, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. Foa...