How do I stretch my hamstrings for ice hockey?

To stretch the hamstrings, start by foam rolling the area for 30 seconds and then perform by a static ball hamstring stretch for 30 seconds. Foam rolling is a self-massage technique in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to the hamstrings. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Next, perform a hamstring stretch on a stability ball, holding the stretch for 30 seconds. To perform the hamstring stretch on a ball, sit on a stability ball with one leg straight and the other knee bent with the legs spread apart. Keep the back flat and lean toward the straight leg. You should feel a tension develop in the hamstrings. Move slowly into and out of this position. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. Perform 1-3 sets of the stretch. If you are stretching just prior to a hockey game, you can do dynamic stretches instead of the static stretch. Dynamic stretches use the momentum of the movement to take the joint through a full range of motion. This helps prepare the body for the fast movements used in the game and raises body temperature. Front-to-back leg swings are a good hamstring dynamic stretch. Perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the leg swings.

Continue Learning about Hockey

Is there a drill to help with starting and stopping in ice hockey?
Good drills for hockey players to do off the ice is the T-drill and L.E.F.T drill. Ice hockey re...
What exercises help prevent shoulder injuries in ice hockey?
It is important to have good posture and to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles to help prevent ...
What are advanced exercise to improve balance in ice hockey?
Advanced balance exercises include single-leg box hop-up with stabilization and multiplanar (for...
What type of cardio should I do during hockey season?
The type of cardio you do during hockey season depends on how often you are playing. If you are ...