How can I choose the proper size ice hockey stick?

To find the best size hockey stick for your height, first consider the position you play. Offensive players usually have a slightly shorter stick for better puck control, and defensive players generally have a longer stick.

To determine the best size stick length, position yourself on a flat surface as if you would position the stick on the ice. This works best by standing on the ground with your skates, placing the toe of the stick on the ground between your feet. If the stick is the proper length, it will reach between your chin and the tip of your nose.  (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Hockey

What stretches are important for hockey players?
Important areas to stretch for hockey are the hip flexors, thighs (quadriceps), and inner thighs...
What can a hockey goalie do off the ice to improve agility?
Using a speed ladder and cones you can perform drills like jumping jacks and the T-drill to impr...
How do I stretch my calves for ice hockey?
To stretch the calves for hockey, first foam roll the area for 30 seconds, then perform a standi...
What equipment is required for ice hockey?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
To play the sport properly and safely, the sport of ice hockey requires a number of pieces of eq...