How can I improve recovery from playing ice hockey?

To improve recovery after playing a hockey game, perform a 10-minute cool-down on an exercise bike followed by a flexibility routine. First use the foam roller for 30 seconds on any tight areas like the calves, inner thighs, and IT-band (the outside part of the thigh between the knee and hip). Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to tight areas of a muscle. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. After foam rolling, perform static stretches for tight areas. To stretch the inner thigh, begin by sitting on a stability ball and extend one leg out to the side, keeping the other knee bent. Lean toward the knee that is bent, keeping the back flat, until you feel the stretch in the inner thigh. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat 2 times. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. To stretch the calves, stand with your feet staggered a few feet away from a wall. Put your hands on the wall for support and resistance and push against the wall with the front leg bent and the back leg completely straight. Lean into the wall and keep the back heel on the ground until you feel a stretch develop in the calf. Make sure the back foot is straight ahead and activate the core. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat 2 times. By performing the cool-down and stretching you can improve your recovery and be ready for the next game.

Continue Learning about Hockey

Should most of my cardio for hockey be done on or off the ice?
Conditioning for any sport should focus on the surface it is typically played upon.  Hockey is no ...
What type of cardio should I do during hockey season?
The type of cardio you do during hockey season depends on how often you are playing. If you are ...
How should I choose hockey skates?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You should select an ice skate that is 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than your street shoes to ensure p...
Is there a drill to help with speed in ice hockey?
To help increase speed for ice hockey, use a combination of specialized strength exercises and l...