As a goalie for hockey, how do I increase my flexibility?

To improve flexibility as a goalie, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretching. Ice hockey goalies need great lower body flexibility, especially the butterfly position which requires good hip internal rotation. To improve flexibility, start by foam rolling any tight areas like the side of the glutes, the inner thigh, and the side of the thigh between the knee and the hip. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to tight areas of a muscle. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for greater range of motion. Foam roll any tender areas for 30 seconds. Then, perform 1-3 sets of a static stretch in which you hold the stretched position for 30 seconds, moving into and out of the stretch slowly. To perform a hip internal rotation stretch, begin by laying on your stomach. Lift one leg up by bending at the knee and grab the inside part of the foot. Slowly move the leg away from the body by pushing it out, similar to how the legs move in the butterfly position. Hold the stretch and slowly come back to the starting position. In addition, use the following static stretches for the lower body: standing calf stretch, standing inner thigh stretch, and hamstring stretch.

Continue Learning about Hockey

What protective equipment is required for field hockey?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Field hockey athletes should wear a few different pieces of protective equipment. Shin guards, g...
How do I improve my speed for hockey with weight training?
Improving your strength and power will help increase speed for hockey. Use a combination of stre...
What type of exercise should I do during the hockey pre-season?
During the hockey pre-season, use a combination of strength/stabilization exercises, corrective ...
Is hockey an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
When watching a hockey game you will see that there is a high anaerobic demand put on the athlete, f...