What should I know before taking Genvoya?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to do blood and urine tests before starting treatment. You will need to be tested for hepatitis B as well.

Genvoya is not approved for people with both hepatitis B and HIV infections.

If you have impaired kidney function, Genvoya may not be a good option for you.

If you have severe liver impairment, you should not take Genvoya.

Genvoya may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

You should not take Genvoya if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about HIV Treatment

How to Choose a Treatment for HIV
How to Choose a Treatment for HIV
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a virus that infects white blood cells called T-helper cells, or CD4 cells, which are vital to the proper functi...
How will HIV treatment affect my relationships?
Dr. Frank A. Spinelli, MDDr. Frank A. Spinelli, MD
An HIV diagnosis can certainly affect a patient's relationship with their partner; open communicatio...
What are the treatment options for AIDS?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Treatment for HIV/AIDS is constantly changing as science delivers more information and new drugs, an...
How Can People Empower Themselves in Their Own HIV Care?