Who should be tested for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)?

Anyone over the age of 18 years old or sexually active should be screened at least once in their lifetime. However, there are other, more specific groups that should be screened more frequently, which include IV drug use, high-risk/multiple sexual partners, and those that participate in anal sex.

In general, testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can help you catch dangerous diseases early (both for treatment and to prevent their spread), and everyone should be tested at least once between the ages of 13 and 64 for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), syphilis and hepatitis. You should also be tested for these if you ever test positive for another STD, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, because those put you at greater risk. It's also smart to get tested for HIV, syphilis and hepatitis if you've had more than one sexual partner since your last test or have used intravenous drugs.

Continue Learning about HIV Testing & Diagnosis

Being Diagnosed With HIV
Being Diagnosed With HIV
In this video, Sean Strub, founder of POZ magazine, takes you back to 1985, a time when healthcare providers knew little about HIV. Learn how far unde...
Read More
What happens if I test positive for HIV?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
If you test positive on a screening test, you should have another test to confirm that you are d...
More Answers
How are neurological complications of AIDS diagnosed?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Based on the results of the patient's medical history and a general physical exam, the physician con...
More Answers
What Was It Like When You First Got Diagnosed with HIV?
What Was It Like When You First Got Diagnosed with HIV?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.