Why take PrEP?

The purpose of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is to help you avoid becoming infected with HIV. Since there are 50,000 new HIV infections each year in the United States and no cure or vaccine is available, prevention is key. When taken every day as directed, PrEP can provide a high level of protection against HIV. It is even more effective when it is combined with condoms and other prevention tools.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

How is smoking related to HIV?
About one in five Americans smokes cigarettes; smoking causes one in every five deaths in the United...
What are some infections and cancers I could get because I have AIDS?
There are multiple different infections and cancers you can get if you have acquired immune deficien...
How can older adults protect themselves from HIV?
Older adults can protect themselves from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by choosing less risky s...
What Are the Goals of HIV/AIDS Research?