What questions should I ask my doctor if I am HIV-positive or have AIDS?

If you are human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive or living with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), review the following questions and discuss them with your healthcare professional:
  • Do you have experience treating people with HIV/AIDS? About how many people with HIV/AIDS have you treated? Are you an HIV/AIDS specialist?
  • How soon should I begin treatment for AIDS? What are the pros and cons of starting drug therapy soon after I am infected with HIV?
  • What are the main side effects of antiviral drugs?
  • Once I start treatment, do I have to continue taking the drugs for the rest of my life?
  • What is my viral load (the amount of virus in my blood) and my CD4 count? What do they tell me about my illness?
  • Are there alternative therapies I can consider?
  • If I get pregnant, can I still deliver a healthy baby? How can I protect my baby from AIDS?
  • Should I avoid breastfeeding my baby if I have AIDS? Why?
  • What are the chances of my sexual partner becoming infected if we use condoms?
  • I need to talk to other people with AIDS, who understand what I'm going through. Where can I find a support group?
  • How does HIV infection affect my risk for developing infections and other complications?
  • How can I keep up with new advances in fighting HIV/AIDS?

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Breaking the Stigma: 13 Essential Facts About HIV/AIDS
In 1981, a group of researchers and scientists published a report in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Wee...
What is PrEP?
PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. It consists of a low-dose of antiretroviral medication. An...
Which men should be screened for HIV?
New screening guidelines actually recommend that all people between 13 and 64 be screened at lea...
How Do You Resuscitate the HIV/AIDS Movement?