What questions should I ask my doctor if I am HIV-positive or have AIDS?

If you are human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive or living with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), review the following questions and discuss them with your healthcare professional:
  • Do you have experience treating people with HIV/AIDS? About how many people with HIV/AIDS have you treated? Are you an HIV/AIDS specialist?
  • How soon should I begin treatment for AIDS? What are the pros and cons of starting drug therapy soon after I am infected with HIV?
  • What are the main side effects of antiviral drugs?
  • Once I start treatment, do I have to continue taking the drugs for the rest of my life?
  • What is my viral load (the amount of virus in my blood) and my CD4 count? What do they tell me about my illness?
  • Are there alternative therapies I can consider?
  • If I get pregnant, can I still deliver a healthy baby? How can I protect my baby from AIDS?
  • Should I avoid breastfeeding my baby if I have AIDS? Why?
  • What are the chances of my sexual partner becoming infected if we use condoms?
  • I need to talk to other people with AIDS, who understand what I'm going through. Where can I find a support group?
  • How does HIV infection affect my risk for developing infections and other complications?
  • How can I keep up with new advances in fighting HIV/AIDS?

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

What Was It Like When You First Got Diagnosed with HIV?
Can We Eradicate HIV/AIDS?
Can We Eradicate HIV/AIDS?
How Do You Resuscitate the HIV/AIDS Movement?
With Other Public Health Issues, Is HIV Still a Priority?