What is HIV prevention counseling?

HIV prevention counseling is a type of counseling done by most primary care doctors or practitioners. This means that your doctor will talk to you about ways of avoiding getting HIV. These methods include safe sex such as using condoms even for anal sex, remaining abstinent, avoiding IV drug use, or any use of shared or reused needles as these are the most likely sources of HIV infection, but if you believe that you may be at risk you should speak to your doctor to get tested.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Do medications for erectile dysfunction protect against HIV?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
Medications for erectile dysfunction DO NOT protect against Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or ot...
Where is HIV/AIDS most prevalent?
Genetic testing suggests that HIV originated in Central Africa around the middle of the last century...
What should I ask my doctor about PrEP?
If you are HIV negative but you're worried you may become positive, talk to your doctor about PrEP (...
Where Are We Seeing an Increase in HIV/AIDS Today?