How do I care for someone with HIV?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
The best thing that you can do for someone with HIV is to be accepting and supportive. Do not judge someone if you do not agree with their lifestyle. Put any personal prejudices aside and help by being there. Help encourage healthy lifestyle choices.Try to be understanding if the person is not always in a good mood. Make sure that they person takes their medication and makes medical appointments, and watch for any new symptoms. Always wash your hands to help protect them from getting sick.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

What Healthcare Providers Do You Need on Your HIV Care Team?
With treatment, people with HIV can live long, healthy lives. Treatment for HIV involves anti-retroviral therapy (ART). These medications do not cure ...
Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a chronic but manageable condition—while there is no cure for an HIV infection, there are medications that can s...
If I take PrEP, can I stop using condoms during sex?
No, you should not stop using condoms because you are taking PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). While ...
Is There a Vaccine for HIV?
Is There a Vaccine for HIV?