Can I get HIV from someone performing oral sex on me?

It is possible for you to become infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) through receiving oral sex. If your partner has HIV, blood from his or her mouth may enter the urethra, the vagina, the anus or directly into the body, through small cuts or open sores.

While no one knows exactly what the degree of risk is, evidence suggests that the risk is less than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex and comparable to deep "French" kissing.

Always use a condom (male or female) from start to finish during oral sex. Use latex or polyurethane condoms, not "natural" condoms. Use dental dams, cut-open condoms or plastic wrap to help protect from contact with body fluids when performing oral sex on a female.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

How Close Are We to a Vaccine for HIV?
How Close Are We to a Vaccine for HIV?
What Was the Stigma Around HIV/AIDS Back in the 1980s and Early 1990s?
How Should HIV Awareness Look Today?
How Should HIV Awareness Look Today?
What Are Your Hopes for Therapy and Treatment of HIV/AIDS?