Who should take lomitapide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Current cholesterol management guidelines state that non-statin drugs are not first-line therapy. But they can be added to a statin if cholesterol goals are not being met. Lomitapide can be considered for people with LDL 190 mg/dL or higher.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Why You Need to Follow Your Cholesterol Treatment Plan
If a blood test shows you have high levels of cholesterol—a waxy substance found in your blood—your clinician may want to put you on treatment. The ch...
What are the health risks of having high cholesterol?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
Having high cholesterol can lead to building up cholesterol in your arteries. The risk of building u...
Should children have cholesterol screenings?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
While routine screening of children for high cholesterol isn't necessary, you may want to consider i...
How Can I Lower My Cholesterol Levels?
How Can I Lower My Cholesterol Levels?