What should I know before taking lomitapide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Because lomitapide can cause liver damage, it is available only through a restricted program. You must qualify for treatment in order to receive the drug. You will also need to have your liver enzymes measured before starting treatment. Women of childbearing age will need a pregnancy test. (If you are pregnant, you should not take lomitapide.) If you take lomitapide, you should limit alcohol consumption to 1 drink per day.

If you are breastfeeding, you should not take lomitapide.

If you have mild liver function impairment, lomitapide may not be a good option for you. If you have moderate to severe liver function impairment, you should not take lomitapide.

If you have impaired kidney function, lomitapide may not be a good option for you. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

What You Need to Know About High Cholesterol
Cholesterol is one of the major markers of heart health. More than 73 million Americans have too much LDL cholesterol, which can lead to hardening of ...
What are the health risks of having high cholesterol?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
Having high cholesterol can lead to building up cholesterol in your arteries. The risk of building u...
What should I ask my doctor about my lipid levels?
Learn Your LipidsLearn Your Lipids
Lipids are fat-like substances found in the body's cells and in the bloodstream. Often referred to a...
Are There Alternative Treatments for High Cholesterol?