What should I know before I take mipomersen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are 65 or older, mipomersen may not be a good option for you.

If you have severe kidney function impairment, mipomersen can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have moderate to severe liver function impairment, you should not take mipomersen.

If you take mipomersen, you should limit alcohol to no more than 1 drink per day.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant, mipomersen may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, you should not take mipomersen.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

3 Diet Plans for Better Cholesterol
3 Diet Plans for Better Cholesterol
If you've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, your doctor has probably recommended a change in your diet to get your numbers down. Fortunately, you ...
What medications treat high cholesterol?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Taking a statin helps lower your LDL-cholesterol to lower your heart disease risk. It is important t...
Is an increase in my HDL level always good?
Spencer D. Kroll, MDSpencer D. Kroll, MD
Studies in the past 18 months demonstrate that although there is an association between low HDL leve...
How Much Do You Blame American Culture for Our Childhood Obesity Epidemic?