What should I know before I take mipomersen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are 65 or older, mipomersen may not be a good option for you.

If you have severe kidney function impairment, mipomersen can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you have moderate to severe liver function impairment, you should not take mipomersen.

If you take mipomersen, you should limit alcohol to no more than 1 drink per day.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant, mipomersen may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, you should not take mipomersen.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Are You at Risk For High Cholesterol?
Are You at Risk For High Cholesterol?
If your doctor tells you your cholesterol is high it may not seem like a big deal, but high cholesterol is a main contributor to heart disease. Too mu...
How does Praluent (alirocumab) work to lower cholesterol?
Praluent (alirocumab) works in a way that may seem roundabout. Praluent is an antibody that targets ...
Who's at risk for high cholesterol?
Your risk for high cholesterol is increased by factors like diet, weight, exercise, age, and heredit...
Are There Alternative Treatments for High Cholesterol?