What are the health risks of having high cholesterol?

Having high cholesterol can lead to building up cholesterol in your arteries. The risk of building up cholesterol in your arteries, which is called plaque, is that your arteries become narrow and less blood flows through. This condition is called coronary artery disease. When plaque decreases blood flow to the heart, you may have chest pain. If plaque completely blocks an artery that carries blood to your heart, you may have a heart attack. Plaque buildup caused by high cholesterol levels can also increase your risk of having a stroke. Treatment for unhealthy cholesterol levels can help to decrease your risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Why You Need to Follow Your Cholesterol Treatment Plan
If a blood test shows you have high levels of cholesterol—a waxy substance found in your blood—your clinician may want to put you on treatment. The ch...
What are the causes of high cholesterol?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Cholesterol levels are mainly determined by the interaction of your genetics, diet and lifestyle cho...
How can I lower my cholesterol?
Dr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, DODr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, DO
Lowering cholesterol levels is key to maintaining heart health; eating a healthy diet and exercising...
Snacking on Blueberries May Reduce Bad Cholesterol Levels