What are some dangers of high cholesterol in children?

A study by the American Heart Association found that the plaque build-up in the neck arteries of obese children or kids with high cholesterol was similar to that of forty-five-year-old adults. The researchers concluded these kids -- the average age was thirteen -- should be treated as at high risk for cardiovascular disease. Overweight teens can also suffer liver damage: Many obese teens might need liver transplants by the time they reach thirty, according to a study by the American Liver Foundation.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Natural Ways to Lower Cholesterol
Natural Ways to Lower Cholesterol
What kind of bean do you pile high on your tacos and burritos? For better cholesterol, try the mighty pinto bean—one of the top foods high in fiber. ...
Is an increase in my HDL level always good?
Spencer D. Kroll, MDSpencer D. Kroll, MD
Studies in the past 18 months demonstrate that although there is an association between low HDL leve...
How effective are statins?
Statins reduce the risk of cardiovascular events (heart attack, angina, or stroke), death from any c...
Watch Out for These Sugar Traps
Watch Out for These Sugar Traps