What is mipomersen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Mipomersen (Kynamro) is approved by the FDA for lowering total and LDL cholesterol in people with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HoFH). HoFH is an inherited condition in which cholesterol levels are extremely high, often even with aggressive treatment with statins. Mipomersen works by limiting the production of apo-B, which is needed to build LDL cholesterol inside cells of the body. The effects of mipomersen on cardiovascular disease are not known. Mipomersen is taken once a week by injection. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Why You Need to Follow Your Cholesterol Treatment Plan
If a blood test shows you have high levels of cholesterol—a waxy substance found in your blood—your clinician may want to put you on treatment. The ch...
How effective is ezetimibe?
The combination of a statin and ezetimibe has been found to be just as effective at lowering cholest...
How should I eat if I have high cholesterol?
If you have high cholesterol, your doctor will likely recommend that you minimize foods high in satu...
Control Blood Pressure and Cholesterol to Prevent Dementia