How does Praluent (alirocumab) work to lower cholesterol?

Praluent (alirocumab) works in a way that may seem roundabout. Praluent is an antibody that targets a particular protein called PCSK9. This protein normally blocks receptors in the liver that remove LDL (bad) cholesterol from the blood. By stopping PCSK9 from working, Praluent allows those receptors to remove more LDL, which lowers people's cholesterol levels. In clinical trials prior to approval, people who took Praluent plus a statin medication lowered their LDL cholesterol by 36 to 59 percent, compared to those who took a placebo.
Keith Roach, MD
Praluent works by blocking a protein, proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin type 9. This causes the liver to take more cholesterol out of the blood, so there's less cholesterol available to contribute to blockages in the arteries, especially of the heart and brain, but in any large artery of the body.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

Heart Health: Do the New Statin Guidelines Affect You?
New guidelines for prescribing statins released by The American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) this week have ca...
What is the role of inflammation in high cholesterol?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Today it is understood that inflammation within the arterial wall is a key factor in the progression...
Is an increase in my HDL level always good?
Spencer D. Kroll, MDSpencer D. Kroll, MD
Studies in the past 18 months demonstrate that although there is an association between low HDL leve...
Can Reducing Stress Help Improve My Blood Pressure and Cholesterol?