What is secondary high blood pressure?

Primary hypertension is high blood pressure (>120/80) that is due to your genetics and lifestyle choices. Secondary hypertension is due to an underlying disease or condition. It accounts for 5 - 10% of all cases of hypertension. The most common cause of secondary hypertension is kidney (renal) disease. This is not surprising, since the kidneys play a role in keeping your blood pressure in the normal range. Kidneys release certain hormones and help regulate salt and fluid levels in our body. Once the underlying condition is corrected by surgery, medication or treatment, your blood pressure will most often return to a normal level. It is interesting to note that obstructive sleep apnea may also be a cause of secondary hypertension. 

High blood pressure (hypertension) occurs when your heart pumps blood at a rate that puts unusually high levels of pressure on your arteries. In some cases, the cause of high blood pressure is unknown, while in others it can be determined. If a doctor is able to diagnose what is causing your high blood pressure, then you have secondary high blood pressure, or secondary hypertension. Secondary high blood pressure can be deadly if left untreated, leading to several health complications including heart attacks and strokes. Typically, it doesn't cause any symptoms which means it's important to have your blood pressure checked by your doctor regularly. If you are diagnosed with secondary high blood pressure there are several steps you can take to lower it.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Lower Your Blood Pressure to up Your Brain Power
“Only one thing concerns me,” says the doctor to Archie Bunker on an episode of All in the Family. “Your blood pressure is 170 over 98. That's just a ...
What daily activities can I do to help lower my blood pressure?
Daily activity, even as little as a 15-minute walk, will help lower blood pressure, which decreases ...
Are people with severe hypertension admitted to the ICU?
Julia Vicente, MSNJulia Vicente, MSN
That depends on the situation, but the ICU would be the place to treat hypertensive emergencies beca...
Best Diet to Ward Off Hypertension, Diabetes and More