What happens to the body with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)?

When people have pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), the walls of the pulmonary arteries are thick, narrow and stiff. This makes it harder for blood to flow through. PAH also means the stiff arteries can't relax and widen to allow more blood through when extra oxygen is needed, like during exercise. This raises blood pressure in the arteries. Blood clots can also form in the arteries, making it even harder for blood to flow through. The right side of the heart then has to work extra hard to push blood through the stiff, narrow or blocked arteries. This extra work tires out the heart, and without treatment it can't pump properly.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

How to Get the Right Blood Pressure Reading
Most people will have high blood pressure at some point in their lives. In fact, it's estimated that among people who have normal blood pressure at ag...
What is pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) can be broken down like this: pulmonary means related to the l...
How can I not stress about my hypertension?
Stress appears to cause a temporary increase in blood pressure. Therefore, you should try to reduce ...
Control Blood Pressure and Cholesterol to Prevent Dementia