How can I reduce my salt intake if I have high blood pressure?

Vandana  R. Sheth

To reduce your sodium intake--

• Use fresh or dried herbs, spices and citrus juices to flavor foods rather than salt
  • Limit the use of processed and prepackaged foods
  • Use fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh meats

Your doctor can tell if your high blood pressure is "sodium-sensitive." A small minority of people are sensitive to sodium. That is, their blood pressure responds to the amount of sodium they ingest. If you think that you are salt-sensitive, you should cut back on foods containing salt. However, if you think that getting rid of the salt shaker will be enough, think again. Most of the sodium we ingest comes from processed packaged foods, not from salt we add ourselves. Everything from soda pop to most breakfast cereals contains high levels of sodium. Learn to be a label reader. To avoid major sodium loads, eat fresh fruits and vegetables instead of processed food.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Your High Blood Pressure Prescription, Decoded
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that almost half of American adults—a whopping 108 million people—have high blood pressure, a...
Got Hypertension? Watch Your Systolic Blood Pressure
How Much Do You Blame American Culture for Our Childhood Obesity Epidemic?
When It's Time to Check Your Child's Blood Pressure