How does plaque in arteries affect blood pressure?

When patients get plaque, the blood vessels have an impairment in their ability to dilate. They get stiffer and have more resistance. Blood pressure is cardiac output versus resistance, especially in the capillaries. When they get atherosclerosis, which is plaque in the arteries, there’s more resistance in the blood vessels and that raises blood pressure.

Dr. Ozgen Dogan
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When your heart beats, it sends a surge of blood into your arteries. If your arteries are healthy and elastic, they will expand as blood travels through them. This "give" in your arteries keeps blood pressure from rising too high. However, if your arteries contain plaques, they will be narrow and less flexible. Because of this, the influx of blood will cause your pressure to build to high levels.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

How to Get the Right Blood Pressure Reading
Most people will have high blood pressure at some point in their lives. In fact, it's estimated that among people who have normal blood pressure at ag...
What is malignant high blood pressure?
Westside Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaWestside Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Malignant high blood pressure is extremely high blood pressure that develops rapidly and causes orga...
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
Looking for delicious foods to help beat back hypertension? Add these to your grocery list.
What Are the Top 3 Things I Should Do If I've Been Diagnosed With Hypertension?