How costly is high blood pressure (hypertension)?

Bryce B. Wylde
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
In 2010, high blood pressure cost the United States $76.6 billion in health care services, medications, and missed days of work. It costs the Canadian system $20.9 billion every year in physician services, hospital costs, lost wages and decreased productivity. More than the economic detriment, having high blood pressure is a serious personal health condition that surprisingly anyone, including children, can develop. It greatly increases the risk for heart disease and stroke, the first and third leading causes of death in North America and as the most common primary diagnosis. Hypertension accounts for more than 35 million physician office visits per year in this part of the world.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

The Alzheimer’s–Blood Pressure Connection
Researchers found there is a correlation between a person’s elevated blood pressure later in life and brain health—particularly Alzheimer’s disease ri...
Can I donate blood if I have high blood pressure?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You may donate blood as long as your blood pressure is below 180 systolic (first number) and below 1...
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
Looking for delicious foods to help beat back hypertension? Add these to your grocery list.
What Are the Symptoms of Hypertension?
What Are the Symptoms of Hypertension?