What high sodium foods should I eliminate?

Vandana  R. Sheth

If you are watching your sodium intake limit the following high sodium foods:

• Instant and packaged foods (frozen meals, ready-to-eat foods)
  • Processed meats
  • Canned foods (soups, vegetables, etc.)
  • Pickled foods

Instead, use fresh or frozen fruits, vegetables, fresh meats, foods without added salt or unsalted versions.

Many foods naturally contain sodium, including animal products like meat, fish, poultry, milk and eggs. Vegetable products are naturally low in sodium. Avoiding foods that are high in sodium is important to lowering the salt in your diet. Many snack foods and prepared foods are high in salt, which why they taste satisfying to some people. But sometimes the food may not taste salty yet it is still high in sodium content.

You can check on the sodium content by reading the nutritional label on the side of the package or can. In fact, did you know that some canned foods have more sodium that a person needs for an entire day?! 

Some foods to avoid on a lower salt diet include all prepared foods, chips, crackers, lunch meats, cured meats like bacon and ham, condiments (catsup, mustard, and steak sauce), canned vegetables, canned soups, packaged noodle dishes, fast foods and prepare at home fast foods.

Ask your doctor how much sodium (or salt) you need each day, and then read the nutritional information label on the side of the package to check the sodium content.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

News: Nearly Half of American Adults Have Heart Disease
Nearly half of all adults in the United States—more than 121.5 million people—have some form of heart disease, according to a January 2019 report from...
Can I donate blood if I have high blood pressure?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You may donate blood as long as your blood pressure is below 180 systolic (first number) and below 1...
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
Find out where residents struggle with hypertension
What is the DASH Diet?
What is the DASH Diet?