Will I have to take blood pressure medication for the rest of my life?

Ozgen Dogan
The concept of taking high blood pressure medication "for the rest of my life" brings up a lot of stress. Think of it this way: you will be on blood pressure medication for a period of time. The goal is to get and keep your blood pressure in the healthy range. There are always those patients who are able to control their blood pressure by making very big changes in their way of life. They can sometimes forego medication.
Chances are that once you start taking blood pressure medication, you will need to continue doing so for the rest of your life. But this is not a bad thing. Many people commonly view taking medication as a sign of failure. They often think they are not better unless they can eliminate the high blood pressure entirely -- and the need for medications. However, high blood pressure affects the majority of us as we age. Our arteries harden over time, causing increased resistance against the flow of blood and, ultimately, high blood pressure. It’s much better to know and treat it, than to not know or ignore it. The good news is that there are many medications -- most with no or minimal side effects -- that can effectively control blood pressure and prevent its secondary effects such as strokes and heart attacks.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Treat Your High Blood Pressure, Boost Your Heart
When confronting a health problem, sometimes medications or other treatment strategies work wonders—and sometimes the results are less dramatic. One t...
Can a sodium-restricted diet help in treating hypertension?
Some people can lower their blood pressure by consuming less sodium. Not everyone is "salt sensitive...
What are the side effects of aldosterone blockers?
In men, side effects may include painful breast enlargement, erection problems, and a reduced sex dr...
What Are Natural Treatments for Hypertension?