When should I start taking medication for high blood pressure?

When people should start taking medication for high blood pressure is somewhat controversial in terms of what is a target goal. The consensus is to shoot for a blood pressure goal of 120 over 80, with treatment often beginning when blood pressure is around 140 over 90. A lot of people are resistant to medications and want to try lifestyle modifications. But if you can't modify things, once you get over 140 over 90, it's time to start talking about medication.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Merle Myerson, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If your blood pressure is elevated and your risk factors are high, your doctor may recommend medication right away. Watch cardiologist Merle Myerson, MD, discuss the treatment options for high blood pressure, including lifestyle modifications.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Treat Your High Blood Pressure, Boost Your Heart
When confronting a health problem, sometimes medications or other treatment strategies work wonders—and sometimes the results are less dramatic. One t...
Do alpha blockers interact with any other medications?
If you are taking boceprevir, doxazosin can lead to side effects and should be avoided. If you are ...
Will I have to take blood pressure medication for the rest of my life?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Chances are that once you start taking blood pressure medication, you will need to continue doing so...
Ending Childhood Obesity to Improve Adult Health