Can I go off my blood pressure medicine once my pressure is down?

R M. Firth, MD
Family Medicine
Blood pressure medications help lower blood pressure to a safe level, but usually only as long as you take them. If you stop taking your medications, your blood pressure can go back to where it was before treatment. Continued treatment and follow up is important. You may be able to stop your medication in some cases, but you need to work closely with your doctor to do so.
Alan Gaby
Some people can normalize their blood pressure without medication by losing weight; eating more fruit, vegetables, and nuts; reducing salt, caffeine, and alcohol intake; exercising regularly; and/or reducing stress. However, it is important to monitor blood pressure and to work closely with a doctor, who can determine whether it is safe and desirable to reduce the dose or discontinue blood pressure medication. The nutritional treatment of high blood pressure is discussed in detail in my textbook, Nutritional Medicine (www.doctorgaby.com).

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Treat Your High Blood Pressure, Boost Your Heart
When confronting a health problem, sometimes medications or other treatment strategies work wonders—and sometimes the results are less dramatic. One t...
When can I stop taking blood pressure pills?
Many of my patients can stop using blood pressure pills after they start exercising and eating p...
How can I perform the energetic remedy for my hypertension?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Perform the following steps to provide the energetic remedy for hypertension:1.General sweeping two ...
Too Much Sugar Is Bad for Your Blood Pressure and Cholesterol