When should I talk to my doctor about pregnancy-induced hypertension?

You should absolutely talk to your doctor about pregnancy-induced hypertension (high blood pressure). A rise in your blood pressure during pregnancy is usually noted at your prenatal appointments. If you are taking your blood pressure at home between appointments and notice that it is high, communicate this with your doctor. High blood pressure during pregnancy can put your baby at risk for being small for gestational age, and can put you at risk for possible seizures if left untreated.

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) be sure to speak with your doctor as soon as possible. It is important that you have regular checkups during your pregnancy regardless of your risk for PIH. If PIH is identified early enough, your doctor will be able to use the appropriate treatment and monitor your progression closely. As with any appointment, be sure to discuss with your doctor the causes, symptoms, complications, and treatments associated with PIH.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Symptoms

What are the symptoms of pregnancy-induced hypertension?
Pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) is first noticed as a hasty weight gain during pregnancy, rathe...
When do I need to see a specialist for a heart rhythm disorder?
Imran K. Niazi, MDImran K. Niazi, MD
Sometimes the usual treatments for atrial fibrillation are not helpful. Physicians with special ...
Why Are We Seeing More Chronic Illness at Younger Ages?
Ending Childhood Obesity to Improve Adult Health