I would suggest avoiding processed items like soups, salad dressings, and other condiments. They are high in sodium and can raise blood pressure. The recommended amount of sodium intake per day if you have hypertension is 1,500 milligrams per day, which is less than one teaspoon of salt. Flavor foods with herbs and spices, and make your own soups at home to reduce salt.
- Q As an older adult, how can I help prevent high blood pressure?
- Q What can I do to lower my risk for high blood pressure?
- Q Can secondary high blood pressure be prevented?
- Q Besides diet restriction, what are other ways to lower BP?
- Q Can regular exercise lower my blood pressure?
- Q Can eating whole grains reduce my risk of high blood pressure?