You should avoid foods high in salt and sodium which are usually processed foods. That means foods that come in boxes, cans, and frozen unless they say low sodium or salt free. You should also avoid foods that naturally contain lots of sodium like processed meats (ham, bologna, salami, and other cured meats), olives, anchovies, tuna fish, bread, and cheese.
- Q How can I reduce my risk of high blood pressure?
- Q Why should I eat less salt if I have normal blood pressure?
- Q Can secondary high blood pressure be prevented?
- Q Can eating whole grains reduce my risk of high blood pressure?
- Q Are there general recommendations for diet to reduce high blood pressure?
- Q As an older adult, how can I help prevent high blood pressure?