I would suggest avoiding processed items like soups, salad dressings, and other condiments. They are high in sodium and can raise blood pressure. The recommended amount of sodium intake per day if you have hypertension is 1,500 milligrams per day, which is less than one teaspoon of salt. Flavor foods with herbs and spices, and make your own soups at home to reduce salt.
- Q Can pulmonary hypertension be prevented?
- Q Can secondary high blood pressure be prevented?
- Q Can regular exercise lower my blood pressure?
- Q As an older adult, how can I help prevent high blood pressure?
- Q How do ACE inhibitors prevent high blood pressure (BP)?
- Q What should I avoid doing if I have high blood pressure (hypertension)?