You should avoid foods high in salt and sodium which are usually processed foods. That means foods that come in boxes, cans, and frozen unless they say low sodium or salt free. You should also avoid foods that naturally contain lots of sodium like processed meats (ham, bologna, salami, and other cured meats), olives, anchovies, tuna fish, bread, and cheese.
- Q Can primary high blood pressure be prevented?
- Q Is it okay to stop worrying about salt and high blood pressure?
- Q What are the risk factors for high blood pressure that I can change?
- Q Can regular exercise lower my blood pressure?
- Q Can eating whole grains reduce my risk of high blood pressure?
- Q What lifestyle changes should I make to prevent high blood pressure?