What is the link between Alzheimer's disease and the herpes virus?

Some studies are suggesting a link between Alzheimer's disease and the herpes virus that causes cold sores. The studies are still too new to establish a definite link between the two conditions and the role the link could play in future research for treating Alzheimer's.  The safety and effectiveness of herbal preparations, such as L-Lysine, have not been established by the FDA.  At this time, it is too soon to add a medication to your regimen to try to prevent Alzheimer's.   

Continue Learning about Herpes Simplex (HSV)

Does herpes simplex affect children differently than adults?
Children are affected by herpes simplex in the same way as adults. Most people get exposed to HSV-1,...
Where on my body could I get herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Most often in a mucosal surface: mouth or genital skin. Less often on any skin surface, such as arms...
Is herpes simplex contagious?
Herpes simplex is extremely contagious. The virus is passed through the sores that are present durin...
Are all herpes viruses the same viral skin infection?
Just as there are different kinds of cold viruses, there are different kinds of herpes viruses. Thes...