Does herpes simplex affect children differently than adults?

Children are affected by herpes simplex in the same way as adults. Most people get exposed to HSV-1, the type of herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores. A child's infection with HSV-1 may be painful, causing  mouth sores and flulike symptoms that can last up to two weeks. Recurrences are usually less severe. HSV-2, the virus associated with genital herpes, is less of an issue with those who have not yet reached adulthood. A child who has herpes simplex needs to be taught to avoid direct contact with others during an active outbreak. A doctor should be consulted before giving a young child aspirin for pain relief. Parents and caregivers need to watch for symptoms indicating future outbreaks.

Continue Learning about Herpes Simplex (HSV)

What is herpes simplex?
Herpes simplex is a virus that causes the herpes infection. It can affect several body parts includi...
Where on my body could I get herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Most often in a mucosal surface: mouth or genital skin. Less often on any skin surface, such as arms...
What is the link between Alzheimer's disease and the herpes virus?
MediGuardMediGuard
Some studies are suggesting a link between Alzheimer's disease and the herpes virus that causes cold...
What is the difference between oral and genital herpes?
Oral herpes causes sores and blisters on the lips and gums and in the mouth -- typically referred to...