What is an incisional hernia?

Hernias result from a weakness in the central abdominal muscles that allows the intestines to protrude through. Most hernias are incisional hernias, which result when an incision from a previous surgery causes this abdominal muscle weakness. Incisional hernias can vary in severity; in extreme cases, the skin may break down.

Continue Learning about Hernia

What causes a hernia?
TriStar Greenview Regional HospitalTriStar Greenview Regional Hospital
Many things can cause hernias. But mostly, a hernia is caused by weakness in muscles. Following are ...
Can I exercise if I have an abdominal hernia?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
You can exercise if you have an abdominal hernia. Medical studies show it is safe to exercise or do ...
What Is a Hernia?
What Is a Hernia?
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?