How do I manage my Spigelian hernia on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have a Spigelian hernia, the best way to manage its symptoms is to seek medical care. Symptoms can be mild but will eventually worsen as the abdominal wall opening enlarges. Pain and/or tenderness are common symptoms. A bulge under the skin may or may not be present. Although the bulge, when present, will be soft do not try to push it back through the abdominal opening. This increases the risk for incarceration, which can lead to strangulation of the hernia. Talk to your doctor about any pain you have, including the onset of nausea and vomiting. It's possible that your Spigelian hernia will affect you emotionally and mentally, as well. Talk to your family and friends about your concerns both before and after surgery.

Continue Learning about Hernia

Got Groin Pain or Swelling? Don’t Ignore It
Do you notice a bulge or have dull pain below the belt? You may assume that you have a pulled muscle, but your symptoms could signal a more serious pr...
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?
How Are Hernias Treated?
How Are Hernias Treated?
What Is a Hernia?
What Is a Hernia?