How does an irreducible hernia affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Depending upon where the irreducible hernia is located, different parts of the body are affected. For example, an irreducible inguinal hernia can affect the scrotum and the area around the testicles, causing them to swell or become painful. An irreducible hernia also causes a hard bulge under the skin. If left untreated, an irreducible hernia can develop life-threatening complications.

Continue Learning about Hernia

Got Groin Pain or Swelling? Don’t Ignore It
Do you notice a bulge or have dull pain below the belt? You may assume that you have a pulled muscle, but your symptoms could signal a more serious pr...
How do I manage my sliding hernia on a daily basis?
If you have a sliding hernia that develops symptoms, there are ways you can manage indigestion and a...
What are the most common types of hernias?
The most common type of abdominal wall hernia is an inguinal hernia. About 75 percent of all hernias...
What Is a Hernia?
What Is a Hernia?