How common are abdominal hernias?

About five million Americans experience abdominal hernias, the most common type of hernia, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
Abdominal hernias occur when a hole or tear develops in the abdominal wall, allowing other body structures, such as part of the bowel, to push into the hole, causing a bulge and possibly a bowel obstruction.
Doctors may do physical exams and order specific tests to diagnose hernias and determine the best way to treat them.

Continue Learning about Hernia

What should I know about caring for someone with a pantaloon hernia?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
When caring for someone with a pantaloon hernia, make sure to provide emotional support as well as p...
How do I manage my sports hernia on a daily basis?
Resting the abdominal muscles is the first step in managing your sports hernia. Anti-inflammatory me...
What Is a Hernia?
What Is a Hernia?
How Are Hernias Treated?
How Are Hernias Treated?