What advances have been made in hernia surgery?

Recent advances in hernia surgery include more ways to fix hernias with minimally invasive surgery. Minimally invasive surgery includes laparoscopic and robotic surgery. For patients, this usually means fewer and smaller cuts. Medical studies have shown that minimally invasive hernia surgery can help decrease the risk for infection and reduce pain and recovery time while still having the same success as open hernia surgery. There have also been advances in the types of mesh used to reinforce the hernia. Studies have also shown newer hernia mesh products help to decrease the risk for infection and other mesh-related complications such as pain.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

How is an early-stage hiatal hernia repaired?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
An early stage hiatal hernia may be repaired by decreasing the size of the enlarged hiatus (the open...
How soon will I notice the benefits of hiatal hernia surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
You will notice improvements in heartburn symptoms immediately after hiatal hernia surgery, though p...
Should I talk to my doctor about wearing a hernia truss?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Always talk to your doctor before using a truss to prevent complications with your hernia. In most c...
How does a truss lead to incarcerated or strangulated hernias?
An incarcerated hernia is a hernia that becomes trapped outside the abdomen wall, unable to slide ba...