What can I do to prevent post-hernia surgery complications?

The best way to prevent a complicated hernia such as an incisional or recurrent hernia after surgery is to follow your doctor's post-surgery care instructions. Depending upon the type of hernia surgery - herniorrhaphy, hernioplasty - your doctor may recommend moving around soon than later however heavy lifting should be avoided. A follow-up examination is a good way to ensure that the surgery is successful and no symptoms of infection are present. Avoiding smoking, gaining sudden weight, and constipations are other ways to avoid recurrent hernias, a type of complicated hernia that redevelops after surgery.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
To prevent post-hernia surgery complications it is vital to follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions very carefully. Most importantly, do not lift any heavy objects for 5 pounds, do not strain the midabdominal area, and refrain from exercising for up to 6 weeks. Hernia repairs may include mesh graft which may require 6-8 weeks to heal and scar into surrounding tissue. 

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

How should I change my habits after hiatal hernia surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Keep up the same habits after hiatal hernia surgery as before. Three to six months is a good time pe...
What is laparoscopic hernia surgery?
Dr. Michael A. Perez, MDDr. Michael A. Perez, MD
Laparoscopic hernia surgery is a procedure in which a telescope attached to a camera is inserted thr...
Should I talk to my doctor about wearing a hernia truss?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Always talk to your doctor before using a truss to prevent complications with your hernia. In most c...
What should I expect after hernia surgery?
Kendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaKendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Well, it depends on how the hernia surgery is performed. If it’s done openly, or you have an incisio...